The Shack


There's a best selling book called The Shack, but that's not what I'm talking about today. When a Yooper says, "I'm going to the shack." it can be only one of three places. The deer blind or the outhouse or the ice shack.

Little Bay de Noc, the Kipling area to be more precise, is my favorite fishing hole. We drive out on the ice as soon as it's safely frozen and we stake our territory for the rest of the winter. Its a real community with some of the same neighbors coming back year after year.


Little Bay de Noc is known for its northern pike and perch, but nothing compares to the walleye we pull out of those waters. Walley are best pan fried in a little butter and wrapped in a light coating of flour, cornmeal, and salt and pepper. My mouth waters just thinking about it.


tip (as in tip-ups): the best lures are Swedish Pimples made right here at the Bay de Noc Lure Co.


Gertie

4 comments:

Bill B said...

Thanks for the info, Gertie! (btw, I've had to explain to people here what a tip-up is)...

Scrappy Kay said...

Gertie, my dad and granddad were avid fishermen - year round! I don't know if they fished Little Bay de Noc, but I wouldn't be surprised. They fished all over Michigan and especially enjoyed the UP. Walley, Pike and Perch were frequently featured at our dinner table thanks to my dad. And my mom prepared the Walleye just as you describe.

Yikes, it's only 8am and my mouth is watering, too.

Gertie said...

We always have trout from the Escanaba River and Johnson Creek, too. Not in the winter, of course, but in the spring.

Bill B said...

They all sound good. My favorite remains brookies pulled out of a creek (I mean, crik!) and cooked on the bank.