Killing Time

The wood stove is crackling away, the snow is falling, and the days are long. Those of us who tough it out in the northern woods are biding our time - cooking, telling stories, playing cribbage, and working jigsaw puzzles while we watch the national news get worse and worse.

And we read our bible. No, not that one, although it wouldn't hurt any of us to pick it up and read a few passages now and then. I'm taking about the Farmer's Almanac.

Did you know that there are 'only' seventy more days til spring? Do you know the definition for the word of the day - whangdoodle (an imaginary creature) ? Or that the planting date for vegetables that grow above ground is different than those that grow under (light of the moon vs dark of the moon)?

You would if you had a Farmer's Almanac. Get your own or follow it here: http://almanac.com

Gotta go plan. The Almanac says the best time in January to start a diet is on the 13th. I'm on it.



Gertie

6 comments:

Bill B said...

Good luck with that (starting diet)! And I've often wondered if the whangdoodle is related to Koko Taylor's Wang dang doodle ...

Gertie said...

I felt slightly foolish googling Koko Taylor's Wang dang doodle, because I was (almost) sure you had made it up! But you hadn't. You're an amazing man, Bill. LOL.

Gertie

Bill B said...

Gees, Gertie, your comment made my day, but you probably shouldn't encourage me! I had seen Koko in Chicago, then many years ago she actually played in Marquette. She was almost blind then, but was really beltin' out the tunes. Afterwards I gave her a hug and she said under her breath, "Honey, I don't know WHERE the hell I am!" Then again, many people feel that way upon arrival in the U.P. after driving for 8 or 9 hours!

Scrappy Kay said...

Gertie, "Killing Time" would be an interesting book title . . .

Glad to hear folks are still playing cribbage! It's one of my family favorites but I'm not finding too many who play it down here in Buckeye land.

Gertie said...

a book title. I like that. When I was a kid we played pedro. I haven't met anyone else who knows that card game.

Bill B said...

Wow, pedro, talk about a blast from the past. Also canasta. And something few people here seem to know but is huge in the UP--euchre. Our 17-yr-old just wrote an essay on being 'unplugged' for a full year...it sounded like living the way we did--playing these games, singing, telling stories, etc. Not all that bad!