August Beets

So many of you have asked how my cookbook is coming that I decided to share some of the recipes with you. And it's coming along fine, thanks for asking.

I have a rain barrel on the side of the house nearest to the garden. It's connected to the gutter so every time it rains the barrel fills a little more. Sometimes I catch the toads lounging under the vegetable leaves and give them little swims in the barrel to fend off the summer heat. Then I fill a bucket with rain water and give the beets a drink. Yesterday I pulled some of the sweetest I've ever grown and made soup.


BEET SOUP

Serves 6

1 pound beets, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons ginger, minced
red chili flakes if you like a little zip
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
heavy cream
chives

Combine vegetables, garlic, ginger, chili pepper, broth, water and sugar in large pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat and strain liquid into separate bowl. Puree vegetables in blender or food processor. Combine liquid and vegetables and chill. When ready to serve, place in individual bowl, swirl cream into soup and sprinkle with chives.

8 comments:

Scrappy Kay said...

Gertie, the soup sounds yummy!

By the way, I've read the first two of the Yooper mysteries and have purchased the third to read, too. I'm sure you have more tales of mystery to share with us, and hope that you and Deb put them down on paper and ink to share with us.

Pattie T. said...

I love the new blog! And the beet recipe looks great. I just planted some beet seeds having recently learned that both beets and the beet greens are incredibly good for you. Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Dang! I'm having a hard time figuring out how to leave a comment on my own blog. Scrappy Kay, I've been following your reviews and have learned a valuable lesson from you. And Pattie, don't ever throw away those greens. Pan fry (the new word is saute) them in some oil with onions and garlic or whatever until they are nice and tender.
Gertie

Echelon Press Publishing said...

Beet soup! I feel faint...and not in a good way. LOL Just picked up the first book and can't wait to dive in. I get to enjoy it without eating the soup, right?

Karen Syed
www.karensyed.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Karen, we love root vegetables in the U.P. We have great soil for growing them big. You just haven't had good beet soup. I'll bring some over.

Gertie

Chris V. said...

Love the blog! Sorry, Gertie, uh, I think I'll pass on the beet soup. I've eaten beets, occassionally, make that rarely, but liquid beets, I don't think so. But the recipes are still a good idea.

Scrappy Kay said...

Gertie, I am amazed and flattered that you read my reviews - and of course heartened by your words. By the way, I am an occasional blogger and I've made mention of your blog on my own, and have added a link, too. Looking forward to checking in from time to time!

Anonymous said...

I'm figuring out this link thing. Scrappy, you'll be my first one.

Gertie